NHTSA Launches New Tire Safety Campaign
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently announced their newest safety campaign, TireWise. The campaign’s goal is to educate both consumers and tire retailers to the importance of choosing and maintaining the vehicle tires.
According to statistics from the NHTSA, there are 11,000 tire-related vehicle accidents every year. Two hundred people die each year from those tire-related crashes.
Topics covered in the TireWise campaign include:
- How to select the correct size, type and rating for your vehicle;
- How to perform a monthly tire pressure check, which the NHTSA says is “critical” to tire safety;
- How to monthly checks for wear and tear to the tread of your tires;
- How to check and deal with aging of tires, such what causes tire to age and break down, how to extend the life of your tires and when it’s time to replace them;
- The special conditions that hot weather causes on tires, including acceleration of aging and effects on tire pressure;
- How to find out when your vehicle’s tires were made in order to follow the manufacturer’s replacement recommendations.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in a statement, “Safety is our top priority and following these simple guidelines will help prevent needless deaths and injuries every year. This campaign will help consumers make more informed choices every step of the way when it comes to choosing and caring for their tires – keeping them safer and saving them money at the same time.”If you have been injured in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, contact a New Braunfels personal injury attorney to find out what compensation you may be entitled to for pain and loss.