Last week, two 18-wheeler trucks and one passenger vehicle collided on I-35 in Austin, impeding traffic and, as happens in many large truck crashes, injuring the driver of the passenger vehicle. Whenever you travel on I-35 in Texas, you should be aware of the accident risks and be sure to know how to contact an attorney if you are injured.
Accident Risks on I-35
Interstate 35, especially the stretch between San Antonio and Austin, has been a source of trouble for Texas drivers for decades. Despite attempts at improvements over the years, collisions on I-35 are still common due to the high amount of traffic and congestion that the road sees every day. In 2019 alone, there were 562 fatal crashes on Texas interstate highways, 80 of which occurred in Bexar, Comal, Hays, and Travis Counties.
As a major north-south U.S. highway that extends from the Mexico border and through six states, I-35 is also a common shipping route for commercial trucks. When operated negligently, trucks can cause accidents resulting in severe injuries due to their size and weight, and while truck drivers themselves are often injured, the occupants of other passenger vehicles tend to bear the brunt of the injuries in many cases.
Recovering Damages After an I-35 Truck Accident
If an 18-wheeler or other large truck was responsible for the accident in which you were injured, you can make a case for compensation by demonstrating the negligence of the truck driver or another party. Some common examples of negligence in truck accidents include:
- Driver fatigue, perhaps due to driving for excessive hours or late at night
- Improper cargo loading, which may cause cargo to shift or fall off the vehicle and create a crash hazard
- Driver error, which may be more common among inexperienced drivers who are not used to handling a large vehicle
- Distracted driving, including texting, calling, and other handheld use of a cell phone or mobile device
- Speeding, either above the posted speed limit for trucks or the safe speed for the current road conditions
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other drug
We are familiar with I-35 truck accidents, and we can help you investigate your case and gather evidence to identify all possible negligent parties.
Contact a New Braunfels I-35 Accident Attorney
At The Bettersworth Law Firm, we strive to protect our clients from the risks and harmful effects of I-35 truck crashes by holding at-fault drivers accountable and pursuing the full compensation our clients deserve. Contact our New Braunfels personal injury lawyer today at 830-443-9193 for a free consultation.