Birth Injury Attorney in New Braunfels, TX
Representing Families Affected by Injuries During Childbirth
Birth injury can be devastating and draining, both emotionally and financially. Attorney James Bettersworth represents victims of birth injury, such as cerebral palsy, in New Braunfels and the surrounding area, ensuring that families receive the compensation they need to move on with their lives.
Complications before, during, and after birth can result in a wide range of problems for an infant, known as birth injuries. Birth injuries can range from mild to severe and can be caused by a healthcare provider's negligence or wrongdoing. Examples of negligence include using excessive force during delivery, failing to perform a necessary caesarian section (C-section), or failing to anticipate the size of the baby. In cases where the birth injury is the result of a healthcare provider's negligence or wrongdoing, the healthcare provider can be held legally liable.
Birth injury can be the result of many things, but no matter what the cause, it almost always results in the pain and suffering of the child and his or her family. Our Texas medical malpractice lawyers are experienced in various forms of birth injury, including brachial plexus, Erb's palsy, paralysis, brain damage, and cerebral palsy.
Texas Cerebral Palsy Lawyer
Cerebral palsy is a chronic condition that affects muscle coordination and posture. Cerebral palsy is caused by damage to one or more areas of the brain that control movement, which affects the child's ability to move his or her muscles normally. In addition, cerebral palsy can result in learning disabilities, vision and other sensory problems, and mental retardation. Our birth injury lawyers aggressively and compassionately represent victims of cerebral palsy throughout the state of Texas
The doctors and nurses who are caring for the mother and child before, during, and after delivery have a responsibility to provide appropriate and effective treatment. When cerebral palsy or other birth injury occurs as the result of the healthcare provider's negligence or wrongdoing, he or she can be held legally responsible.
If any of the following mistakes occurred during birth, your healthcare provider may be liable for your child's cerebral palsy:
- The doctor left the baby in the birth canal too long, resulting in oxygen deprivation.
- The doctor failed to perform a necessary C-section or delayed performing a C-section.
- The doctor failed to respond to complications, such as high blood pressure in the mother or changes in the fetal heart rate.
- The doctor failed to detect or treat umbilical cord complications, such as a prolapsed cord.
- The doctor improperly used forceps or used excessive vacuum extraction.
If you believe that a doctor's negligence caused your child's cerebral palsy, contact our Texas birth injury lawyer to schedule a consultation.
Other Types of Birth Injuries
Cerebral palsy is one of the most common birth injuries. In fact, according to the March of Dimes, about two to three children in 1,000 over the age of 3 have cerebral palsy, and about 500,000 children and adults of all ages in this country have cerebral palsy.
There are various forms of birth injury besides cerebral palsy, including:
- Shoulder Dystocia: This form of birth injury occurs when the shoulders become stuck and cannot be delivered. This can cause serious injury or block the infant's ability to breathe.
- Brachial Plexus: Brachial plexus injuries occur when the brachial plexus nerves (a network of nerves that conduct signals from the spine to the shoulders, arms, and hands) are stretched or torn during delivery. Brachial plexus causes various symptoms, including a lack of sensation in the arm or hand, lack of muscle control, and a limp or paralyzed arm, hand, or wrist.
- Erb's Palsy: This form of birth injury is the paralysis of the upper brachial plexus.
- Klumpke's Palsy: This form of birth injury is the paralysis of the lower brachial plexus.
Contact Us Today
If you or someone you know has suffered a birth injury, The Bettersworth Law Firm can help. Contact our Texas birth injury lawyer today to schedule a free, confidential consultation.