Protecting Kids from Playground Injuries
Statistics show that more than 213,000 children under the age of 18 end up in emergency rooms for injuries they receive while at playgrounds. The majority of those children injured are between the ages of 2 to 9 years old; however, the ages of children who receive the most injuries are between the ages of 5 and 12 years old. Other statistics regarding playground injuries include:
- The majorities of injuries, 90 percent, are caused by a fall from playground equipment, especially if a child lands on a hard surface.
- The most common injuries received are fractures (35 percent), bruises (20 percent), cuts (20 percent), and sprains and strains (11 percent). Other injuries a child can receive are concussions, internal injuries, amputations and even death.
- The most common body parts that are injured are the upper extremities (45 percent), which include arms, shoulders, wrists, hands and fingers.
- Children are most frequently injured on climbing equipment (36 percent), swings (30 percent) and slides (20 percent).
- The majority of playground injuries occur at parks or at schools.
Tagged in: child injury child safety new braunfels accident lawyer playground equipment playground injuries san antonio injury attorney