Within the past week, two rollover car accidents stalled traffic on major highways in the San Antonio area. The first happened on I-35 northeast of San Antonio when a car carrying four passengers lost control and impacted two separate semi-trucks. The second happened north of San Antonio on Loop 1604 and involved two vehicles. These two crashes are part of a larger pattern of dangerous rollover accidents, which often result in serious and fatal injuries.
Common Injuries From Rollover Accidents
In a rollover accident involving multiple vehicles, some injuries may be caused by the initial impact. However, the most severe injuries tend to result from the vehicle overturning. In some cases, drivers or passengers are ejected from the vehicle and suffer injuries from their impact with the road, ground, or other objects in the vicinity. In other cases, drivers or passengers are trapped inside the overturned vehicle and may suffer serious injuries as the vehicle is crushed. Some common injuries resulting from these accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries - With the multiple points of impact that come with a rollover accident, there are many opportunities for concussions and other brain injuries as the head is shaken or impacted by the vehicle, the road, or the ground.
- Neck and spinal cord injuries - The force and compression of a rollover crash can damage the vertebrae and spinal discs and, in some cases, the spinal cord itself, which can cause paralysis.
- Broken bones - Bones throughout the body can also be fractured or crushed in a rollover, including the arms, legs, hips, and ribs.
- Internal organ injuries - The lungs, kidneys, intestines, and other organs can also suffer damage in a rollover crash. Some internal injuries are obvious, including those caused by puncture wounds, but others may not be immediately apparent.
- Cuts and lacerations - Broken glass and impacts with other sharp or hard surfaces can cause lacerations that in some cases result in permanent scarring or disfigurement.
Reacting to a Rollover Crash
One of the most important things to do if you are injured in a rollover accident is to get to safety and seek immediate medical attention. If you or a passenger is trapped in the vehicle, call 911 for professional assistance from first responders. As soon as you can, you should also consult with a personal injury attorney and start building your case for compensation from another driver who caused or contributed to the accident through their negligent actions....